Tuesday, March 22, 2011

*Side Note* Acne Spot Treatment

Pregnancy in itself is such a beautiful thing, unfortunately, a lot of the side affects aren't such beautiful things. For me, this has meant a pre-pubescent breakout on my face. Many acne fighting treatments are "no-nos" while pregnant, so I sought out a solution that would be more natural and safe whether I'm pregnant or not... (when something isn't safe during pregnancy, kinda makes you wonder if you should be using it regardless)?


At first everything I was coming up with suggested baking soda in some kind of mix. I was a bit nervous about trying this though because I already have insanely dry skin. Then I stumbled upon honey and cinnamon. 






Honey is good for dry skin because it attracts and retains moisture, it also has anti-inflammatory properties that can help heal cuts and wounds. It's filled with anti-oxidants that fight off free radicals, this gives it an anti-aging property. 


Not convinced yet? Here are some more benefits of honey from buzzle.com:
Other Benefits
  • A honey face mask prevents discoloration of the skin and helps to keep it in one even coloring.
  • A honey face mask helps to rejuvenate skin.
  • It is also beneficial for nourishing the skin and preventing infections.
  • Making use of a honey face mask for acne has been a known remedy for this condition. It prevents the onset of pimples.
  • It prevents skin disorders like eczema because of a high content in enzymes and amino acids.
  • Honey face mask helps to renew skin cells thus leaving skin looking visibly younger and radiant.


Cinnamon has antioxidant and antimicrobial properties which make it a great partner in this paste.


Directions:
Depending on how much you want to make, it's basically 2 parts cinnamon to 1 part honey. I didn't really measure anything out though, I just squeezed some honey onto a small surface, then sprinkled in cinnamon, stirring with my finger until it was a dark brown consistency. I used it as a spot treatment, but you could use it as an entire face mask. Most directions say to leave it on for at least 15-20 minutes, some say to leave it on overnight, but I think your pillow would be a mess.


Outcome:
Seems to really work! It noticeably reduced the size and color of my blemishes. It also made my skin incredibly soft wherever I put it. I am thinking tonight I will do a full facial mask with it. The one downside is that the color and texture aren't very fabulous. To put it plainly, it looks a bit like poo on your face. I kinda forgot about it on my face, but as I went to wash it off in the mirror before bed I immediately had gratitude for my Husband being so kind with his silence. 


Bottom Line:
There are inexpensive home remedies that work! Just google it. Chances are you'll find something that you have all the makings for already. Plus, how cool as it that if I wanted to, I could have eaten my face treatment? I mean, how many people can say that about their acne medicine? Makes me feel a lot better about putting it into my pores. Let me know what you try and how it works for you!


Like what you see? "Subscribe via e-mail" in the top right corner to receive updates when a new post is added! As always, feel free to comment below, or e-mail me at naturallynourishing@gmail.com with any thoughts, questions, or concerns!

No comments:

Post a Comment